Thursday 4 August 2016

(Review) Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Spoliers)

Name: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Authors: J.K Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne
 Publication date: 31st July 2016
Rating: ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ/5

Overall I didn't enjoy this book as much as I had hoped and I don't think that it lived up to the hype that it has.
 If this book had not been a play I probably wouldn't have read it as quickly as I did, I read it in three days.

Spoilers ahead!

I thought that the first act was good and I liked Scorpius a lot more than I had thought I would at first.
 However it didn't shock me as much as it maybe should have when Albus got sorted into Slytherin. I felt that it wouldn't have been hinted at in the end of Deathly Hallows if he wasn't going to.

The big plot twist in the book was when we discovered that Voldemort has a daughter and that she plans to go back in time to stop Voldemort from trying to kill Harry as a baby.
 The revelation came as a shock to me but I wasn't surprised at her betrayal, even though she says she is going to help Albus and Scorpius at the beginning of the book.

A big part of this book revolved around time travel and the use of a time turner, something that wasn't ever fully explored within the series, I did think that this face the book an interesting view on what the world would have been like had things gone differently.
 This is what made the book enjoyable for me, seeing the different possibilities for the end of the series, even though one was bad.

I think that Albus's and Harry's relationship was mostly overdone, I didn't think as much of the plot needed to be focused on it. I feel like it could have been done with less.
 I do think however that the reason that Albus makes some of his decisions is because he has to live up to the expectation of being Harry Potter's son.

Overall, I feel that this book did not live up to the hype that surrounded this book and it was an average book for me

No comments:

Post a Comment